Assistant Professor of XR Technologies - ASU at Mesa City Center
The School of Arts, Media and Engineering of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts and The Polytechnic School of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University seek a dynamic thinker and creator for a full-time, tenure-track assistant professor joint appointment who will join the team in Fall 2022 as part of ASU at Mesa City Center, an emerging media technology center in development. This expert in technologies for extended reality (XR) will be a critical part of a highly collaborative team devoted to transdisciplinary approaches to public impact through the creative uses of technology.
The primary responsibilities for this jointly appointed position will be in the programs of ASU at Mesa City Center, a cross-disciplinary trio of graduate programs bringing together researchers, designers and engineers to leverage XR technologies, immersive experience design, and practices for public impact. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an independently funded and collaborative research program; teach and mentor students; participate in professional and university service; engage stakeholders in the university and the community, and demonstrate national and international leadership in their field.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Demonstrated excellence in and commitment to teaching, though this need not be in a formal higher education setting.
- Demonstrated dedication to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Completed a PhD or other terminal degree in computer science, media arts or related field by the start date of the appointment.
- Demonstrated expertise in and experience with research in software and content development for XR, game design and/or interactive media, as well as demonstrated proficiency in one or more of the following tools and practices: building 3D applications in Unity, Unreal or equivalent game engine; C#; C++, XR optimization; motion graphics; motion capture, Machine Learning (ML) and/or computer vision (CV).
Highly qualified candidates for this position may possess the following skills:
- Commitment to research, creative activity and/or scholarship that has public impact outside of the academy, including work related to community engagement, social justice, communication of science, cross-cultural communication or similar endeavors in highly collaborative and co-creative practices.
- Evidence of ability to inspire and instruct learners from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively in and across multiple disciplinary cultures and backgrounds; expertise in engaging multiple viewpoints and audiences in a variety of formats to grow dynamic research and curricular programs.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following tools, practices and systems: cloud infrastructure for XR and mobile application development; iOS and/or Android development; developments for VR/AR frameworks like Oculus, Hololens, SteamVR, ARKit/ARCore, MRTK, ARFoundation; and hardware/interface development for XR.
- Knowledge of virtual production environments and tools and workflows
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in UI/UX design
- Experience with 3D software workflows including Maya, Max, Blender, Revit, Navisworks or similar
- Advanced experience designing managed plug-ins and/or native plug-ins for game engines or related software.
- Experience teaching online or creating resources for training/education in an online environment.
The application deadline is January 3, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements - Under the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 4, 2022. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Applicants may also be interested in the following positions within the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts that are posted now or will be posted soon. Please consider applying to any and all positions that fit your qualifications. All applications must be submitted separately.
Instruction to apply:
- A C.V.
- A letter of interest/cover letter that includes a description of the applicant's research and teaching interests and addresses their potential alignment with the stated values and mission of ASU and the relevant departments.
- A statement addressing how the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or racial justice will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for at least 3 professional or scholarly references.
- Portfolio of creative and/or research work (web portfolio, code repository, software/plug-ins) submitted electronically, as a website or via a downloadable link/application or publication sample (file size limit 100mb).
All applications must be submitted electronically via apply.interfolio.com/96685