Assistant Professor of XR Technologies - Media and Immersive eXperience Center
The School of Arts, Media and Engineering at Arizona State University seeks a dynamic developer and technologist for a tenure-track assistant professor appointment in XR Technologies. This expert in technologies for extended reality (XR) will be a critical part of a highly collaborative team devoted to transdisciplinary approaches to public impact through the creative use of technology. They will join the team in Fall 2023 as part of the Arts, Media and Engineering faculty and the Media and Immersive eXperience (MIX) Center (mix.asu.edu). This appointment requires in-person instruction on both the Tempe Campus and at the MIX Center in downtown Mesa.
The primary responsibilities for this position will be in the programs of the MIX Center, a cross-disciplinary trio of graduate programs bringing together researchers, designers and engineers to leverage XR technologies, immersive experience design, and practices for public impact. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an independently funded and collaborative research program, teach and mentor students, participate in professional and university service, engage stakeholders in the university and the community, and demonstrate national and international leadership in their field. We are interested in cultivating a pool of candidates who want to join a connected, mission-driven, hard-working team of practitioners driven by creativity, curiosity, justice, and equity. If this describes you, we encourage you to apply.
Candidates for this position must have:
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching in higher education or other settings, and commitment to teaching in higher education;
- Demonstrated dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- A PhD or other terminal degree in computer science, engineering, computational media, media arts or related fields by the start date of the appointment.
- Demonstrated expertise in and experience with research in software and content development for XR, game design and/or interactive media, as well as demonstrated proficiency in one or more of the following tools and practices: building 3D applications in Unity, Unreal or equivalent game engines; C#; C++, XR optimization; motion graphics; motion capture, Machine Learning (ML) and/or computer vision (CV).
Research shows that people from groups closest to the harms of institutional racism and inequality often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Highly qualified candidates for this position may possess a combination of some of the following skills, however, the search committee does not anticipate that applicants will meet all of the desired qualifications listed.
- Commitment to research, creative activity and/or scholarship that has public impact outside of the academy, including work related to community engagement, social justice, communication of science, cross-cultural communication or similar endeavors.
- Evidence of ability to inspire and instruct learners from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively in and across multiple disciplinary cultures; expertise in engaging multiple viewpoints and audiences in a variety of formats.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following tools, practices, and systems: cloud infrastructure for XR and mobile application development; iOS and/or Android development; developments for VR/AR frameworks like Oculus, Hololens, SteamVR, ARKit/ARCore, MRTK, ARFoundation; and hardware/interface development for XR.
- Knowledge of virtual production environments and tools and workflows.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in UI/UX design.
- Experience with 3D software workflows including Maya, Max, Blender, Revit, Navisworks or similar.
- Advanced experience designing managed plug-ins and/or native plug-ins for game engines or related software.
- Experience collaborating with colleagues from different disciplines (including engineers, game designers, and/or artists, among others) to develop and grow dynamic research and academic programs.
- Demonstrated experience in working with external stakeholders and communities in a highly collaborative or co-creative manner.
- Experience teaching online or creating resources for training/education in an online environment.
The application deadline is December 18, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions, which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Instruction to apply:
- A C.V.
- A letter of interest/cover letter that includes a description of the applicant's research and teaching interests and addresses their potential alignment with the stated values and mission of ASU and the relevant departments.
- A statement addressing how the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or racial justice will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for at least 3 professional or scholarly references.
- Portfolio of creative and/or research work (web portfolio, code repository, software/plug-ins) submitted electronically, as a website or via a downloadable link/application or publication sample (file size limit 100mb).
All applications must be submitted electronically via apply.interfolio.com/116811